For longer roles, sometimes our schools offer a teacher who wishes to be PAYE a fixed-term contract rather than a casual contract. This means the teacher is paid a monthly salary during employment with the school. It is often a way to invite the teacher to become part of a school for a long-term booking and can be a simple and convenient solution for both schools and teachers.
If this is the case, please make sure you have considered the following:
- What is the rate you are being paid? If you are on a monthly salary, how does that compare to your desired day rate?
- Is the contract term-time only? If so, you will not be paid for half-terms, Christmas holidays and similar non-school days.
- What is the termination date? E.g. if you work “until Easter”, will you be paid for part of Easter break, or does your contract end before the Easter holiday? If your contract ends 1st April, you will only be paid until that date.
- Please check for sickness and holiday entitlement, as well as any inset/training days you have the right to take part in.
- Will you have any PPA time?
- Are there any other expectations (e.g. coming in before term to prepare a classroom, running after-school clubs or similar)?
If you would like assistance or have any questions about these alternatives to day rates, please call us on 0330 122 6629, or your union for contractual questions and advice.